April 21, 2005
I got your meme right here.
Dawn Summers passed along that 'five things your friends think are cool but you don't' meme that's been going around. I thought about it, and then thought about it some more, and discovered that I have a lot of things in common with my friends. The only thing I could think of that everyone loves that I'm don't is TV. The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that I like a lot of things that none of my friends do.
So, without further ado, I've changed around the whole meme and am listing 5 things that I love that no else does.
1. Stockings- this is the one that gets me the most 'Really? Oh I hate those!' comments. Well, I love them. They flatten the belly and make the legs look sexy. Also, they make it possible to wear skirts in the winter which I like a lot since I'm not much of a pants person.
2. Meeting new people- the most important people in my life have no use for anyone but a select few. Last year on my birthday, before the big party, I went out to eat with the group of friends I call 'The Russians' (even though I spend most of my time with two members of the group that are not Russian). I asked one birthday favor, that when we got to the party they would each speak to one person they have never spoken to before. Smarty-pants SMVP quickly chose someone he knew he'd have to talk to anyway (the girlfriend of a guy that all the Russians knew) and chose her. Everyone else quickly followed suit. Throughout the night, whenever I'd look over and see a Russian talking to someone, they'd give me a look like 'I'm getting credit for this, right?' I always tend to attract anti-social people. I don't know what they see in me, but, for me, there's something rewarding about being liked by people that like no one.
3. Pulp- My favorite band. I realize it's kind of hip to like this fabulous, defunct band now but for most of the 90's, it felt like I was alone in my adoration. My American friends hadn't heard of Pulp and my British friends did not appreciate their sound. I love their funny lyrics and Jarvis's voice. My favorite album is 'His&Hers' but I think 'Different Class' is the perfect Pulp starter album, if you feel like taking my advice and checking them out.
4. Long haired boys- Maybe it's because I was a metal chick (or some combination club girl/metal chick) but guys with long hair never fail to turn my head. It's funny, too, because the likelihood of me actually liking, or dating, a long-haired guy is slim to none. I mean, I'm 28, and guys with long hair (sorry for the upcoming generalization) tend to be stuck with a 19-year old mindset. But still, it attracts me.
5. Looking for a job- Everyone I know hates looking for a job, doing their resume, interviewing. I love it. I feel like the possibilities are endless and anything can happen. I check out Monster.com even when I'm not looking for a job. I like to know what's out there. In another life I would be a headhunter because I so enjoy finding jobs for people. Odd, I know. But that's the point of this list.
Update: oh yeah, three people need to be tortured with this. I choose Jeff Goldstein, Ms. New Vintage and Stephen Green and they can do either version of this.
Posted by Karol at April 21, 2005 11:28 AM
I like meeting new people too, and a lot of my friends don't. And I feel the same way: I feel kinda lucky to be friends with some of these people, because they're incredible, if not outgoing.
Karol, you are a headhunter. You get jobs for politicians.
By stockings, don't you mean pantyhose or tights? Stockings can't flatten a belly because a stocking only goes up to the thigh and they need to be secured by elastic around the top, suspenders or a garter belt. The sad thing about skirts these days is that they are often unlined, which means that the hardware used to secure the stocking is evident as you move, or they're short enough that the top of the stocking shows when one sits down.
I saw Pulp perform in a night club in Paris in 1994 just when His and Hers came out. No one was interested in going with me, so I went by myself. It was a pretty fantastic concert.
Stockings? You're insane!
It's official, Karol. You're an original!
I love stokings or pantyhose or whatever as well. I few years back i rediscoverd skirts so pantyhose it is!
I keep meaning to check out Pulp, thanks for another reminder.
It's all about Disco 2000, although admittedly it was cooler in the 90s.
I meant tights/pantyhose. I didn't know anyone still wore the stockings that require equipment.
If I had to do this, my single definite one would be Seinfeld. I can't stand that show, and everyone in the world besides me seems to love it.
It's not at all rare to like Pulp (particularly to have liked them in the 90s) or stockings, but I pronounce it pathological that anyone would like looking for a job.
I like the othere meme better because it's more fun to talk about stuff that you think sucks, at least if you don't like much of anything. (I'm desparately ill so forgive this comment if it's coming off as deranged as I think it might sound.)
1. the boy-band Hanson
3. the J-Lo clothing line
4. Ramen Noodles--most ppl OD on these in College. I was smart and did not over-do my consumption. Therefore, I'm still game for 'em
5. HUGE Hoop earrings. The more-ghetto the better. I want a pair that has my name in script in the middle
*Gasp* Hanson was NOT a boy band. They were a band...of boys. But definitely band first.
So..you 2 a fan on the Mmmm Bop?
First I would like to say that when K refers to "The Russians" she only does so not to offend all those that are not the "Inner Circle"(IC), which is obviously the correct name for that group.(She is always so pc, making it look like she cares about others feelings.)
Second, all those in the "IC" have each other and complete each other so why meet anyone new and risk disrupting the harmoniums balance f the perfect love, respect, admiration and humor we all have for one another.
In conclusion I would like to request that for all future references "we" would be referred to as the "IC" because that is what we are and not "The Russians", we are all citizens of this great country and a large portion of "us" is not and has never been to the former USSR.
Thanking you in advance,
MD of IC.
(Originally from Ukraine NOT Russia)
Vanessa - I'd stick my tongue out at you for the Republicans thing if I didn't want to kiss you for the gold hoop earrings thing. Some day I'm going to have diamond ones with "CG" in the middle for Candy Girl. In my alternate life as a hip-hop superstar, that is.
buy phentermine [url="http://www.phentermine-hcl.org/"]buy phentermine[/url] http://www.phentermine-hcl.org/ 596371
Yqi8mS mlkyvxzxhvfr, [url=http://obnepewkrqxr.com/]obnepewkrqxr[/url], [link=http://toslrnjlascv.com/]toslrnjlascv[/link], http://popstsyxmrlj.com/
S2y8uR ldjanidndone, [url=http://gsgvaqjyuvux.com/]gsgvaqjyuvux[/url], [link=http://qwnuhqllalxq.com/]qwnuhqllalxq[/link], http://uzfjoybmcouo.com/