ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

May 23, 2005

How to tell in 50 words or less (41 to be exact) that the NY Times article on blogs has no clue

NY Times:

'To analyze Web log buzz, the study zeroed in on a few dozen political blogs, from left-leaning forums like Daily Kos and AmericaBlog to conservative ones like Instapundit and Power Line, as well as middle-of-the road sites like BuzzMachine and Wonkette.'

Instapundit is conservative but Wonkette is middle-of-the road. I highly recommend to mainstream journalists that they actually read blogs before writing whole articles about them. I'd think that was journalism 101, but what do I know, I'm just a blogger.

Posted by Karol at May 23, 2005 11:21 AM | TrackBack
Comments

Uh, you're asking them to do something before forming an opinion. Heretic!

Posted by: Laddy at May 23, 2005 11:37 AM

If wonkette is MOTR, we're in worse trouble than we thought. Aside from daily Bush bashing, her site encourages sandnazis to kill Jews AND Christians...

"Coronation Continues: Jenna of Darkness...Yes Yes We Know She went to University of Texas, whatever. You don't have to be in Skull and Bones to drink Jew baby blood. . . .."

She tries to explain her "humor" in a followup post I can't find.

Bottom line, the woman is a whore for the Mooron wing of the DNC/Party of Osama.

Posted by: jp at May 23, 2005 12:09 PM

I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with NYT about Instapundit or just decrying their inconsistent use of left/right tags. Wonkette is clearly liberal, but I think that Instapundit has been pretty clearly conservative for a few years now.

Posted by: ugarte at May 23, 2005 12:10 PM

What exactly makes him 'conservative'? He's libertarian on social and fiscal issues. Does 'conservative' just mean pro-Iraq-war these days?

Posted by: Karol at May 23, 2005 12:14 PM

Labeling most people "conservative" or "liberal" is just an excuse for laziness. Most people, educated ones, at least, are not ideologues, and therefore can't be pigeonholed into one particular identity. But the New York Times has to strike a balance between accuracy ("liberal-leaning" is more accurate than "liberal" for most people) and simplicity (labeling someone "liberal" when in fact he only is pro-choice, etc.)

Ambiguity is the enemy of clarity, but accuracy is the enemy of simplicity.

Posted by: Dave at May 23, 2005 12:25 PM

I thought libertarian on fiscal isssues was the conservative stance.

Posted by: Joseph Weisenthal at May 23, 2005 12:44 PM

If libertarian on fiscal issues was the conservative stance, then George Bush would not be called a conservative. To wit: trade tariffs, etc.

Just because one calls one's self a conservative, or is labeled as such does not mean that he has libertarian ideals.

The definitions have become too muddied, in my opinion, to have much meaning any more. Yet they persist, like the appendix.

Posted by: Dave at May 23, 2005 12:56 PM

Dave,
so conservatism is defined as what George Bush believes/supports/does?

Posted by: Joseph Weisenthal at May 23, 2005 01:02 PM

Joseph--

I'm saying that "conservative" and "liberal" have lost all meaning. I actually have responded to this post on my blog, here. See also this post.

Posted by: Dave at May 23, 2005 01:07 PM

Instapundit seems conservative, but every so often he'll post comments in favor of therapeutic cloning or women's choice that clearly put him on the outside of the ideological ranch.

A more telling observation is the democrats have become so removed from common sensical beliefs that instapundit can be easily labeled 'conservative".

Posted by: Eric at May 23, 2005 01:17 PM

Yeah, Kos is "left-leaning." Just a touch. And I suppose that's true if Wonkette and the NYT are middle of the road.

Posted by: ss at May 23, 2005 01:41 PM

Wonkette can't link up correctly, but google helped me out: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/dc/clearing-things-up-about-jenna-bush-030795.php

However it doesn't really help to clear up her humor...

Posted by: Kearns at May 23, 2005 06:03 PM

your dylan internet chatting story had the wrong song name, which is really suspect as to the truth of that whole post, glass houses, glass houses

Posted by: Glass House at May 23, 2005 06:21 PM

"middle-of-the road sites like... Wonkette"

So whoring is now mainstream? Wow, you've come a long way, baby.

Posted by: Sean at May 23, 2005 07:04 PM

Yep, the only one they correctly placed on any sensible left/right line was Power Line, which is indeed conservative.

Posted by: Brainster at May 23, 2005 08:34 PM

What Dylan internet chatting story?

Posted by: Karol at May 24, 2005 12:32 AM

I wish you Yanks would stop bastardising the word liberal. Classical liberalism (called libertarian in the US) is a good thing. Most Republicans would probably fall under this category. See here and here.

It would seem foolish to categorise people before you first define the categories. The other thing is that most people have a lot of various views that in one area may favour one ideology, and in other areas another.
For instance, I favour social justice, universal access to free "basic" healthcare and education; I also favour strong social controls in terms of law enforcement; but I think we should allow people to indulge in activities so long as it doesnt harm others (eg legalising drugs and sexual practices), and I also favour low taxes, free markets and free trade to generate the wealth.

George Bush is not what the world needs economically as the leader of the US (he isnt the best bet for the US either); however, he was a better alternative than Kerry. Simply because Kerry isn't trustworthy - it is better to have an honest fool.

Posted by: Monjo at May 24, 2005 05:52 AM

Eric is correct that labels have lost all meaning. In Instapundit's case he's pro 2nd amendment, that means that no matter what else he believes he's a conservative.

Posted by: David Gerstman at May 24, 2005 06:27 AM