ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

August 01, 2005

Racist wedding crashing

I thought there would be hoopla over the portrayal of a gay character in 'Wedding Crashers' (aka the best movie of the summer), as well as anti-gay comments made by another character. But I haven't heard anything about that and instead it seems it's the lack of black people in the film that's getting the attention.

Posted by Karol at August 1, 2005 06:30 PM | TrackBack
Comments

I too am pissed. About the lack of white inclusion in:

The Wiz
Barbershop
Menace II Society
The Inkwell
Above the Rim
The Color Purple
Poetic Justice
Shaft
Superfly
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Enter te Dragon
Better Luck Tomorrow
The Joy Luck Club

Enough with this shit already.

Posted by: Neighborgirl at August 1, 2005 07:20 PM

Enter the Dragon

But, but, but what about John Saxon?

Posted by: Shawn at August 1, 2005 08:33 PM

Doesn't everyone know by now that the only time black actors are used in movies is when they are playing "black people"? And the average Hollywood writer, or writing committee, doesn't seem to think that a "black character" is needed in the average movie. But the writers are mostly white Jewish guys, not black. Think I'm wrong? I only said "mostly", so don't go searching feverishly for a gentile in the bunch.

Practically evey movie is all white except for the occasional humorous black character thrown in for comic relief. You know who I'm referring to, the swaggering playa type, or maybe a sidekick (Chris Tucker, Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence) to the real hero. That's the way it is and always will be, forever and ever.

Posted by: Skeptical & Dark at August 1, 2005 10:12 PM

Has anyone considered that perhaps screenwriting is something more blacks ought to consider then? If I recall correctly, it worked for Spike Lee and John Singleton. Quite well actually.

Posted by: Ari at August 2, 2005 09:17 AM

Just to be clear here: It's actually not the "lack of black people in the film" that jumped out to myself (and Debra Dickerson). There are many movies that don't have this ethnic group or that ethnic group; it's not a big deal. Besides, the black butler/aide has a mildly important role in "Wedding Crashers" -- which, again, I liked. However, a broad sequence that showed Irish, Italian, Jewish, Asian, and Indian weddings seemed oddly incomplete without showing an African-American or Hispanic ceremony. In other words, the lack of a particular group stands out more when a scene seems to go out of its way to celebrate matrimonial diversity -- more so than if there had been just a series of weddings of blonde, brunette and redheaded WASPs.

Posted by: Robert A. George at August 2, 2005 12:24 PM

The Wiz had white people. The most notable being Michael Jackson of course.

Posted by: Downtown Lad at August 2, 2005 03:10 PM

These debates always spark the question:

Don't people have better things to do than to worry about a movie?

Posted by: Lisa at August 2, 2005 04:05 PM

Well, it's a double-edged sword, you know. This group or that might be miffed at not being 'included' in the wedding montages, but

SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT

keep in mind that each wedding had a little stereotype joke: "I'd like you to meet a true mensch..." "I'm Bobby O'Shea, let's get drunk." People would be up in arms if there were a joke about a black stereotype, maybe even a Hispanic one. Irish people, Indians, Jews: fair game, it's funny. But I don't think I'd risk a black joke if I were a screenwriter.

Posted by: Jay at August 2, 2005 05:14 PM

Jay, I think you have a legitimate point. Damn, that means that PC-ness may have contributed to pushing black folks out of a movie scene! Irony abounds! There's also the possibility that black folks wouldn't be caught dead playing "Shout" at their wedding. Maybe Dawn can give me some support on that?

Posted by: Robert George at August 2, 2005 05:47 PM

I concur Robert...besides, that's what 'We Are Family' is for.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at August 2, 2005 06:21 PM

And the "Electric Slide" too, Dawn!! Can't forget that (though, God help me, I'd like too)!

Posted by: Robert A. George at August 3, 2005 01:20 PM

hahahahahhaha...at least we don't do the chicken dance...whatever the heck that is!

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at August 3, 2005 01:51 PM

This debate is ridiculous... until I read things here I did not even notice the lack of a Hispanic wedding during the movie... (I am Hispanic by the way) and I did not care because I was watching a movie to be entertained, not to dissect the ethnic composition (or lack there of) in the movie.

It is just stupid to still harp on this kind of issues, and more so in blogs... what difference is it going to make? I loved the movie, laughed out loud and will get the DVD... maybe the deleted scenes will have the black and Hispanic weddings...

Posted by: logtar at August 10, 2005 11:15 AM