ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

December 12, 2005

Too bad

South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford says no to '08 presidential run.

The draft Mark Sanford for President movement will surely be disappointed.

(On a sidenote, I am not related to Aaron Sheinin, the writer of the linked piece in The State, but I am always amused to come across his stuff. I've never met another Sheinin in my life.)

Posted by Karol at December 12, 2005 11:06 AM | TrackBack
Comments

Excuse me, but who? WHO? Apparently, I'm not as reality-based as the folks who thought the governor of South Carolina had a shot at the presidency. Then again, he's married, so I guess he was a shoe-in.

Posted by: ken at December 12, 2005 11:16 AM

So, you had heard of Bill Clinton before he became a two term president?

Sanford would've been good for a lot of reasons, and no, being married doesn't make you a shoe-in but not being married does disqualify you.

Ken, give it up. There won't be a Condi run. While you may have your head in the clouds, our esteemed Secretary of State does not. And then you will owe me a dollar.

Posted by: Karol at December 12, 2005 11:22 AM

People are owing each other money? I want action damn it!

Posted by: Pheeleepok at December 12, 2005 11:25 AM

I've never met a Sheinin I didnt like.

Posted by: Pheeleepok at December 12, 2005 11:26 AM

I think Southern Republicans may face the same problem that Yankee Dems do. They may appeal too much to the party base to pull it off. I'm talking real Southerners, not prep school boys from New England like Poppy and Cheerleader. No southern conservative has been in the White House since John Tyler (I really see Andy Johnson as more of a populist). They just don't appeal to the rest of the country.

The other problem Sanford faces is there another SC Republican who is probably better known on the national level and that's Sen. Graham. The waters there are too shallow for both of them and thus they are not able to ride the tides to the White House.

Posted by: Von Bek at December 12, 2005 11:29 AM

Slight difference here is that while the only people who've heard of Mark Sanford are folks like you, Bill Clinton's name had already been popping up as "someone to watch" in the media, including mentions in national publications like Esquire. This doesn't indicate that Clinton had wide name recognition, but it does indicate the media was paying attention to him and knew (and more important cared) who he was. Sanford would not be getting Cornpone Genius Does Good By His Mama storyline, either.

Posted by: ken at December 12, 2005 06:14 PM

Ken, Mark Sanford is as popular as Bill Clinton was 3 years out from an election.

Posted by: Karol at December 13, 2005 02:07 AM

Karol. Listent to what I'm trying to tell you. After all, you're a believer in "Liberal Media," aren't you. Mark Sanford might be "as popular" as Bill Clinton yadda yadda yadda. But he's as popular with people like you. You. Don't. Count. You don't write the dramatic arc that will play out on the news. And, as YOU'VE stated before, blogosphere noise doen't have half the power that bloggers think it does. And party insiders are about the same (but with a lot less imagination). WHICH IS WHY CONDI WOULD BE PERFECT. You have all your silly scientific reasons, when, in the end, she makes for better TV than someone like Sanford or Romney.

Posted by: ken at December 13, 2005 01:52 PM

I know I don't count but I know what plays to people that do count. And Condi won't play. Mark Sanford would've. Again, count on the nominee to be a governor and someone we're not thinking of right now.

Posted by: Karol at December 13, 2005 01:55 PM

I'm with you, Karol (as usual). My money right now's on George Allen.

Ken, fun fact: two years before he ran for president, Jimmy Carter stumped the panel on "What's My Line" (a game show where panelists tried to guess the person's occupation).

Posted by: Yaron at December 13, 2005 09:49 PM