ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

March 03, 2006

Ultimate security mom will likely challenge Hillary

Two good pieces today in the NY Times and the NY Sun about K.T McFarland, who will likely be challenging Hillary Clinton for her U.S Senate seat.

I've had the pleasure of meeting K.T and she is really phenomenal- sharp, smart, warm and well-spoken. She was a Pentagon spokeswoman under Ronald Reagan and is being assisted in her campaign by Ed Rollins, a Reagan advisor. Her key issue is national security, essentially the only issue that makes an iota of difference to me in a U.S Senate race. She was Condi before Condi was Condi. I like her.

(Full disclosure- I do consulting work for the firm she has hired to handle her P.R, however this post is here because I am fascinated by K.T and her entrance into this race, and not for any other reason. Please review the 'notice' in my sidebar beneath the blogads for further clarification).

Posted by Karol at March 3, 2006 04:06 PM | TrackBack
Comments

get over and vote in the poll on Urban Elephants!

Posted by: Scott Sala at March 3, 2006 04:28 PM

Nah, I know when I'm outnumbered. :-)

Posted by: Karol at March 3, 2006 04:31 PM

Awesome. You should totally work on her campaign.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at March 3, 2006 04:59 PM

She seems solid and I don't blame her for taking on Hillary instead of Maloney. But it really seems like she deserves better than being the NY GOP's sacrifice here.

Posted by: Von Bek at March 3, 2006 05:04 PM

I'm weary of our assumption that Hillary Clinton is the smartest, nicest, most charismatic candidate in political history, and a sure-thing in New York. If she wins, she wins because we faltered on picking a candidate and approached her as if she were 10 feet tall.

Posted by: Dorian Davis at March 3, 2006 05:08 PM

Dorian, I think Hillary is a sure thing for one simple reason and that is the NY Republican Party leadership and its constant shell game with various candidates. It's Pirro, no Cox, no Spencer, no its KT and so on. Had someone like Peter King or Rudy or Pataki or Jack Quinn declared early on that they were going to take on Hillary, things may be different. Instead the state party has been playing the second string shell game for too long. We love Mary Donahue. Ha ha no, we like Faso. Whoops. It's really Golisano. No ! Bill Weld's our guy. And so on.

Posted by: Von Bek at March 3, 2006 05:15 PM

Hey! No one is a sure anything. Could be Hillary, could be Cox, could be KT. Senate race is up in the air and we'll just have to wait till the day after the election to know.
Dammit.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at March 3, 2006 05:21 PM

I wish kd Lang would run. We need more queers!

Posted by: Don Myers at March 3, 2006 06:49 PM

I've blogged about KT for some time now after she was first introduced at the 74 AD club as a challenger to Maloney. I had reservations about her when she expressively pushed her liberal side, instead of focusing on her fiscal conservative an national security side.

Personally, I feel she has strong credentials as a candidate for the Federal Gov't. Her experience in Washington is light-years ahead of Spencer's. But to represent New York, you have to understand all of New York. You also need to differentiate yourself from your opponent.

What I have a problem with is the dying NY GOP and quality candidates all seeking the same office. There are 246 elections this year, and after November Republicans are expected to drop seats from the roughly 90 or so that we hold now. Spencer and McFarland are Republicans in two different candidates challenging seats that are held by democrats. By running for the same office, we lessen the number of General Election candidates on the campaign trail and our wishful thinking of picking up seats is defeated.

I also have a problem of the sexist "cat-fight" that the GOP so much wants against Sen. Clinton. First Pirro, then floating Novello and now McFarland. If the NY GOP wanted to make the Senate race interesting, they should've pushed Randy Daniels as the candidate against Clinton.

Posted by: daniel at March 4, 2006 09:13 AM

I had a previous comment.

It didn't make it past the censor.

Posted by: Bob Fois at March 4, 2006 09:34 AM

There's no censor, I'm having MT problems as noted in the post above this one.

Posted by: Karol at March 4, 2006 11:52 AM