ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

June 02, 2006

Yet another reason not to watch tv

Fox News has taken a wholly inappropriate crack at Ben Smith of the NY Daily News. It's so personal, it's shocking. Strictly from a PR perspective, this is a terrible move. Meanness doesn't generally work in getting your point across, a clever, funny jab would've been much better, perhaps something about the Daily News and its not-at-all-concealed bias, instead of about Ben personally. Shame, Fox, shame.

Posted by Karol at June 2, 2006 05:48 PM | TrackBack
Comments

He is conservative himself, right? That's what makes the smear so shocking. He clearly was trying to say "Of course 'conservative Fox News,' is correct - just keep in mind what hypocrisy it is that the only side that gets labelled is the right."

I disagree about whether the media as a whole is liberal ("facts have a well-known liberal bias" and I'll give you the NYT for starters), but he hardly deserved the slap he got for speaking Truth to Biased.

Posted by: Charles at June 2, 2006 06:07 PM

HEY! don't blame this on TV. she didn't say it on TV -- I think this is yet another reason not to read.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at June 2, 2006 06:08 PM

Ben is not conservative.

Posted by: Karol at June 2, 2006 06:14 PM

This woman is the least professional PR person i've ever come across, and i've come across some stinkers. I'm sure Ben's big enough to laugh it off, but this is just the latest in her low-down, amateurish efforts to intimidate journalists into complying with the Fox world view. Worst thing is some of them are scared of her.

Posted by: cardinalchunder at June 2, 2006 06:23 PM

Hmmm. Guilt by association, I suppose. I still think I'm right about the point of his column.

Posted by: Charles at June 2, 2006 06:52 PM

Doesn't seem like you've ever minded Fox's mean-spirited-ness before :)

Posted by: Stephen Silver at June 3, 2006 12:22 PM

Like when?

Posted by: Karol at June 3, 2006 12:34 PM

Ben was a great City Hall reporter at the Sun; haven't read much from him since he left for greener pastures.

Posted by: someone at June 3, 2006 01:18 PM

Like when?

Memories are short; but search functions are forever.

Posted by: not dawn summers at June 3, 2006 01:36 PM

Again, clever, funny jab good. Mean bad. I think you're link is clever and funny, Dawnie.

Posted by: Karol at June 3, 2006 02:16 PM