ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

September 19, 2006

Ohmig-d, Ohmig-d, Ohmig-d.

There might be better pictures forthcoming, but I geeked out to the fullest last night when I met the one writer I had been dying to meet since I was about 18 years old, Peggy Noonan:

Peggy+K.bmp

I was standing across the room with Julia Gorin when I saw Ms. Noonan talking to James Taranto. James graciously introduced us and I stood there completely starstruck for the first 5 minutes or so. Then I babbled something about abortion rates in Russia and how Peggy was a big influence on my becoming a pro-lifer (though ex-blogger Oschisms gets the lion share of that credit). Then I asked Robert George to snap our photo with my camera phone. He also took one with his camera which apparently came out better but he's yet to send it to me. I'll post it when he does. The last time I dorked out in such a fashion was when I met William F. Buckley. Peggy "What I saw at the Revolution" Noonan. I can die happy.

UPDATE: Slightly better shot though I do have my eyes closed. Thanks, Robert:

Peggy+K II.bmp

Posted by Karol at September 19, 2006 08:26 AM | TrackBack
Comments

"my becoming a pro-lifer"

Congrats on coming out of the closet.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at September 19, 2006 01:35 PM

I've been out for a long, long time.

Posted by: Karol at September 19, 2006 01:43 PM

When I've asked you before, you've copped out with the "it should be up to the states" bit, rather than just saying "I'm pro-life".

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at September 19, 2006 01:44 PM

Rereading my old posts, you're probably right. It happened sometime in '04. I had been questioning the pro-choice position, which was the default position for a Russian-born New Yorker, for some time but you're right that I never really wrote about the change. I just started attending (and blogging about) pro-life events and helping mostly pro-life candidates.

Posted by: Karol at September 19, 2006 01:46 PM

Oh and I still believe it should be left to the states.

Posted by: Karol at September 19, 2006 01:47 PM

"How/why I became pro-life" seems like a worthwhile post topic for a political blogger.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at September 19, 2006 01:49 PM

Maybe someday. It's still not in my top 10 issues.

Posted by: Karol at September 19, 2006 01:52 PM

"It should be left to the states" is the most attractive argument vs. the debacle that was Roe v. Wade, but assuming that hurdle (Roe being overturned) is cleared, there will be a (probably even bigger) battle to get a standardized system of laws in all states. I.E. homicide laws are state matters except when they fall under federal jurisdiction, but all states have them.

Posted by: Anwyn at September 19, 2006 01:58 PM

And way cool that you met Peggy Noonan. She's awesome. :)

Posted by: Anwyn at September 19, 2006 01:58 PM

She inspired me to be a writer. I'm jealous!

Posted by: Dorian Davis at September 19, 2006 02:08 PM

I am officially jealous.

Just saying.

Posted by: T. at September 19, 2006 02:52 PM

I find her dull, dull, dull.

Others don't, obviously.

Congratulations on meeting her.

Posted by: dave at September 19, 2006 07:55 PM

Because IT'S ALL ABOUT ME, I'm going to use this space to tell the story of the first time I met Mike Deaver.

It goes a little somethin' like this: When I was about 18, I read Peggy's memoir of her time in the Reagan White House. In those days, Mike Deaver was serving as the President's Deputy Chief of Staff, and he's mentioned a few times in Peggy's book. Her book, of course, was TREMENDOUSLY influential for me. I've still got my copy, through like six cross-country moves. I'll never get rid of that one.

Naturally, having read it so many times, Mike Deaver's name and professional history were well known to me.

Shortly after I moved to D.C., an acquaintance graciously introduced me to Mr. Deaver. "You know," I said to him during our handshake, "in a way, you're part of the reason why I'm here."

He cocked his eyebrows. "Oh?" he said.

I told him the story about reading Peggy's book as a young man and being inspired by it. I told this story without stopping to think real hard about it.

Now, the conventional wisdom is that Deaver and Peggy didn't exactly get along famously when they worked together. I knew this, of course, but the knowledge DISAPPEARED ENTIRELY FROM MY BRAIN during this particular interval of time.

So I found myself blabbering to Mike Deaver about Peggy Noonan.

When I finally stopped talking, Deaver -- still shaking my hand -- said, "So, you read Peggy's book?"

"Yes, sir!" I said enthusiastically.

He paused for a second.

"Have you read my book?" he asked.

I actually said -- like actually said out loud -- "Uhhhhh."

He let go of my hand and reached into a nearby drawer. (We were in his office in the District.) He took out a slim volume, grabbed a Sharpie and autographed it to me. He handed it to me and shook my hand again.

"Mine's much better," he said.

And he winked at me.

That was almost six months ago. Now I work two doors down from Deaver and see him practically every day. He's an incredibly nice guy, about five foot six and always smiling. And as funny as anybody I've ever met.

But I swear to God, I'm still instantly star-struck every single time I see him. Every time I ride the elevator with him, or pass him in the hall, or (yeah, I'm going there) stand next to him in the men's room. It's like ... God, I dunno. Standing next to history.

I am SUCH a nerd.

Posted by: Jeff Harrell at September 19, 2006 09:37 PM

I met Newt Gingrich in a men's room near Harrisburg, PA. Long story. In any case, thanks for sharing - happy to know I'm not the only one who swoons at these sightings.

Posted by: BillLalor at September 19, 2006 11:04 PM

What was the event where you met her Karol?

Posted by: Zelda at September 20, 2006 09:54 AM

It was super top secret off the record event that I'm not allowed to blog about.

Posted by: Karol at September 20, 2006 10:27 AM

Peggy Noonan is just another paid liar at the Wall Street Journal who can care less about the country. These people are only in politics to make as much money off the public tit as possible. I hate conservative preppy types like you. You're obnoxious yuppie scum. The right wing has been wrong about the war (greeted as liberators) and the last 10 big issues but their hubris and arrogance only grows with each day. Horrible, horrible people like James Woolsey, Newt Gingrich, Tom DeLay. Always want to give moral advice to OTHER people while their own personal lives are models of hypocracy. Again, you're living in a fantasy world of chickenhawk warmongers. We've gone from McCarthyistic red-baiting to calling anyone who opposes the Bush cult "terrorist appeasers." Disgraceful. And you can keep erasing my comments, but you can't hide from the truth. When are you gonna sign up with the military, when we invade Iran? Didn't think so. Yeah, have another batch of freedom fries. You would have made a great fascist propagandist.

Posted by: barry the great at September 20, 2006 11:16 AM

Bill:

It's better than meeting Jim McGreevey there.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at September 20, 2006 01:30 PM

Why is it that knee-jerk liberals can never spell hypocrisy correctly? Must be that support for publik skool.

I get the not liking Noonan thing--I find her dull. See my comment above. But going off the deep end?

Posted by: dave at September 21, 2006 07:33 AM

Hey dave, barry the great here. I didn't know you were going to judge me on spelling. You probably felt all superior to point out that, oh my god, an internet post had a misspelled word! Aren't you special, Dave. And to think I won the spellin' bee at PS 84 in Queens when I was in 6th grade. How the mighty have fallen! So liberalism and bad spelling are somehow related? And you accuse me of going off the deep end. That makes you a douchebag, Dave. Did I spell it correctly, jackass? Good. I had to work to pay my way thru college, not like the yuppie scumbags who populate this dreadful website. I just like to ruin your day as much as possible. Check out my outstanding blog, replete with marvelous anti-Bush screeds at wardensworld.blogspot.com. And if you in any way try to impugn my intelligence again, you will hear from my highly successful barrister forthwith. I love when conservatives bemoan the fact that liberals or progressives or communists or whatever term people like you use to demean the opposition get angry or pissed off at President Shrub while ignoring the right wing vitriol and coordinated attack against Clinton (see Arkansas Project) during the 8 years of peace and prosperity of that now long-lamented time. You know, before the Supreme Court appointed your idiot commander in thief. Now go home and get your phuckin' shinebox!

Posted by: barry the great at September 21, 2006 11:40 AM

barry, you'll get many more hits from your like minded anencephelics if you write that over your glory hole (the tiniest one) in the shitter of the Port Authority.

Daddy lied to you: jizz is not one of the major food groups.

Posted by: Radical Redneck at September 21, 2006 12:07 PM

Redneck, you're a real ass. You better hope we never cross paths in the real world. You'd paying for that crack about my late father. I might have to knock your teeth, er tooth as the case may be, down your reactionary esophagus. Now crawl back in your trailer and turn Rush on so he can give you tomorrow's talking points.

Posted by: barry the great at September 21, 2006 02:28 PM

"Redneck, you're a real ass. You better hope we never cross paths in the real world. You'd paying for that crack about my late father"

Anytime tough guy. Name the time and place - show some balls (and not the ones slapping your chin).

What did daddy/pimp die from? Shame?

Posted by: Radical Redneck at September 21, 2006 05:16 PM