ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

May 03, 2007

I'm going to live-blog the debate until I get bored and go out

8:01pm: Wowee, Mitt Romney is a good looking guy.

8:02pm: Despite my feeling on Rudy's chances, something about seeing his face makes me go "wooooo".

8:04pm: Rudy's answer about getting back to Reagan's vision is very optimistic. He squinting a little, not sure what's wrong with his eyes.

8:04pm: McCain has stature, that much is true. Bob Dole had stature too.

8:05pm: Great McCain line: "If we lost in Iraq, who won? Al Qaeda?" YES! Get Reid to say that Al Qaeda has won.

8:06pm: Gov. Thompson, oh man, what's going to happen when there's two Thompsons in the race? Has that ever happened before? Paging Von Bek.

8:07pm: Duncan Hunter looks great. Well-spoken, smart, handsome. Any other election season he might be the front-runner.

8:08pm: Romney has the look though, he looks like a president.

8:09pm: Brownback is pretty good too. His ideas for partnering with "moderate" Muslim countries, though, seems a bit idealistic.

8:11pm: Huckabee would have fired Don Rumsfeld before the election. My friend Claudio told me he's a Huckabee guy the other night. I'm trying to understand why.

8:13pm: Gilmore was pretty uninspiring. I stopped listening half-way through.

8:14pm: Ron Paul. Sheesh. You want this guy around...just not on stage as one of your presidential candidates.

8:15pm: Ooooooh Fred Thompson mention and he's not even there!

8:15pm: McCain wants us to work together with our European allies to pressure Iran. Has he been paying attention? European allies? Do they seem like they care about anything other than cowering under their beds? They're going to help us with Iran? Come. On.

8:17pm: Tancredo gets a hypothetical about Israel asking for American help to attack Iran and would Tancredo say yes if he was president. What a weird question.

8:18pm: Giuliani gets the same question. Gives a much better answer than Tancredo's kind of shocked stammering. Giuliani is, by far, the best up there. He's the star of the show, no doubt about it.

8:20pm: Romney is great too, though. I don't understand how McCain is even still in this. It clearly should be between Rudy and Mitt.

8:21pm: Romney ended his question on whether Osama should be caught with "he will die".

8:22pm: McCain gets asked if he would be comfortable with Tancredo heading Immigration services. He says "In a word, no." Then, McCain launched into his Osama rant which ended with "I'll follow him to the gates of hell". Chris Matthews said "O-k."

8:23pm: Nobody wants to amend the Constitution, except Huckabee (but only after he serves 8 years), to allow foreign-born people to run for president. McCain isn't sure. Damn, missed Rudy's answer.

8:24pm: Maaaaaaan, my brother called me and I missed whatever question Rudy is now answering.

8:25pm: Romney loves America. "Gosh."

8:25pm: Global warming questions, zzzzzzz.

8:26pm: Organ transplants? What is this? Where am I? Is there still a war on?

8:28pm: Ron Paul gets the "would you get rid of the IRS?" question? Ridiculous.

8:29pm: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Rudy! "It would be ok" when asked if to repeal Roe v. Wade. Then added it would be ok to repeal but would also be ok if a strict constructionist judge saw it as precedent.

8:31pm: Romney was personally pro-life, "always" he says.

8:32pm: Brownback just made the reason for his candidacy obsolete. He says he could support a pro-choice candidate because, like Reagan, he thinks he should support someone with whom he agrees 80% of the time.

8:33pm: I don't understand Rudy's answer on public funding of abortion. That's a problem.

8:36pm: Ron Paul lives in the world of idealism and not realism. He wonders why we worry about "third world countries" without any military when we dealt with the USSR which had 400 nukes. Um, maybe because these third world countries breed people that fly planes into our buildings.

8:37pm: Ooooh Thompson thinks its ok to fire someone who is gay because the employer personally disapproves of homosexuality.

8:39pm: Chris Matthews goes after Huckabee on something he said about Romney's Mormonism. It's weird.

8:43pm: Oh, sorry, missed a few minutes while I did my "I got an Instalanche!" dance.

8:44pm: "Neither party has a monopoly on virtue or vice"- Rudy. Que?

8:45pm: "Gov. Thompson, same question. Actually, you can respond to just about anything at this point"-Chris Matthews.

8:47pm: I like Sam Brownback. He's good for the race, his social conservatism has to rub off on his peers.

8:48pm: I can't help but feel that people are going to be beyond sick of all these candidates by the time election-time actually comes around. I'm already sort of sick of them. Maybe that's why I'm so drawn to Romney in this debate. I feel like he's the only one with a chance whose face I don't see everyday. And what a handsome face!

8:51pm: Gilmore is pro-choice?!

8:52pm: Rudy hates abortion. But supports a woman's right to choose. I mean, I guess it's possible that primary voters will still choose him but I just don't see it.

8:54pm: I heard Tancredo say "obfuscating" and promptly tuned out. Stephen Green is drunkblogging and he, as always, rawks.

8:55pm: McCain loves amnesty for people that broke the law to get into America. He could not be less my candidate if he tried. Which, it seems, he does.

8:57pm: Women in prison question for Gilmore from Malika in DC? These debates are so dumb.

8:58pm: Here comes the down the line question. Mrs. Reagan wants to expand govt. funding for embryonic stem cell research. Romney says yes in a long-winded way, but no new stem cell lines. Brownback says no. Gilmore no. Huckabee no. Hunter no. Thompson says question can't be answered yes or no. Everyone is ok with adult stem cells. McCain is soooooo annoying. Ultimately says yes but only after kissing a little Mrs. Reagan butt. Ron Paul sticks with his "not authorized by the Constitution" answer. Rudy is ok with the adult lines. Tancredo says no.

9:02pm: Romney loves MA's healthcare plan.

9:02pm: I'm chatting with a bunch of people on IM and everyone is loving Mitt Romney. So far, I think he's the winner tonight.

9:03pm: McCain has used the "I will veto the first pork-barrel spending bill that comes to my desk and make its authors famous" line twice now. It reminds me Billy the Kid in Young Guns II right before he kills people: "I'll make you famous." I wonder if McCain recently caught that movie. Or maybe he's been listening to Jay-Z: "if I shoot you, I'm brainless, if you shoot me you're famous." Eh, probably the former.

9:06pm: Vodkapundit writes: 7:03pm Matthews just asked a room full of Republicans if there's a tax they'd like to cut? He has a show called "Hardball"? Really? Hahahaha.

9:12pm: Jim VandeHei is much younger than I thought he'd be. Much. I pictured him as an old white-haired guy. He's only 6 years older than me!

9:14pm: "I have plenty of weaknesses"- Giuliani. I love him, I do.

9:15pm: Brownback is just such a nice guy. I really like him in the race. John Budnick's points about Brownback's role in the race are right on.

9:18pm: Romney is for it too.

9:19pm: Brownback is against. He's totally right, we don't need a whole new system.

9:19pm: McCain is for the ID card. Lame.

9:19pm: Sit down for this one, Ron Paul opposes the national ID card.

9:23pm: Ok, I think I can make it to the end. I think I can, I think I can. But then I'm going out and not thinking about this race for another year. Or, week, whatever.

9:24pm: Via Insta, the only debate post you'll need and it's only 10 words long.

9:30pm: So. Boring. There's no way that regular people, who don't live and breathe politics like we (me writing, you reading) do are watching this.

9:31pm: Oh it's over, thank G-d. I think Mitt Romney won.

Posted by Karol at May 3, 2007 08:00 PM | TrackBack
Comments

It's so strange, I've been following the race somewhat closely and I literally had no idea who Jim Gilmore was until now. And after his answer on Iraq, now I know why.

Posted by: Yaron at May 3, 2007 08:36 PM

Yeah, Romney's a rock star. If debates had any effect (I don't know if they do) he would get a nice boost from this one; he's outshining everyone, except maybe McCain.

I guess I'm live-commenting now.

Posted by: Yaron at May 3, 2007 08:57 PM

You're liking McCain. I don't know, maybe I can't look at him objectively. Just can't take him.

Posted by: Karol at May 3, 2007 09:01 PM

And I love the live-commenting! Keep it coming.

Posted by: Karol at May 3, 2007 09:02 PM

Why can't one of the top tier candidates run against the IRS?

Posted by: Dorian Davis at May 3, 2007 09:08 PM

I didn't say I like McCain, just that he seems very charming on the podium, unlike most of the other boring bureaucrats up there.

Posted by: Yaron at May 3, 2007 09:18 PM

Did Rudy get that sunni/shia query correct? I didn't catch his answer.

Posted by: NYPundit at May 3, 2007 09:19 PM

NYPundit, yes.

"9:17pm: Giuliani is for a national ID card. I disapprove. It's just an extra layer of bureaucracy."

Karol, he said he wanted a national id card for aliens.

Posted by: Brennan at May 3, 2007 09:31 PM

Why would you want Ron Paul around? I don't see anything that is admirable / desirable about him.

Posted by: Dustin at May 3, 2007 09:59 PM

I'm so glad the only problems facing America are ones that can be resolved in 30 second sound bites. At this rate, America should be problem free by the time I'm finished typing.

Posted by: Oschisms at May 3, 2007 10:02 PM

i just wanna say i drunkenly came here hoping for this kind of stellar commentary and you hit it out of the park.

kudos.

Posted by: iggy at May 3, 2007 10:57 PM

McCain looked extremely stiff; Rudy stuttered a bit at the beginning but recovered; Mitt dominated.

Dump the rest (and maybe McCain), add Fred Thompson, and you got yourself a debate.

Posted by: Eric Anderson at May 3, 2007 11:12 PM

Seemed to come down to Romney and Giuliani. Tommy Thompson is probably the best candidate, with the best answers and the best resume, but his rumpled professor shtick isn't going to win anything.

Romney beats Giuliani on the social issues, but just barely. Rudy beats Mitt like a drum on everything else. Fred Thompson will probably own them both when the primaries actually come around.

Posted by: Ursus at May 4, 2007 12:29 AM

Romney lucked out by winning the lottery and getting placed at that first podium. Everytime Matthews started one of those "down the line" bullshit questions ("Do you want to see Bill Clinton in the White House?" WTF?) Mitt ran off at the mouth until Matthews skipped Huckabee and others and went straight to McCain and Giuliani (and probably rightfully so).

Romney did look good, although most of what came out of his mouth was rhetoric. And he flip-flopped on the abortion questions. But no more than Giuliani did. Wow.

Tommy Thompson and Gilmore sounded good, but I'd never vote for either of them. McCain was annoying as hell. "And I'll see Osama at the gates of Hell!" Nice.

Ron Paul was good for a laugh. Though as a classical realist, I love him for his foreign policy.

God I hate Tancredo.

I thought my boy Huckabee did well until Chris Matthews went after him on that bullshit quote about religion informing the decision-making process.

Matthews: Didn't you criticize Mitt?
Huck: Nah, I just said that if you say your faith doesn't influence your decision-making process, you're bullshitting. Or not real about your faith.
Matthews: But didn't you say that if your faith doesn't influence your decision-making process, you're either bullshitting or not real about your faith.
Huck: Um, yeah. Dumbass.

But yeah, I didn't know WTF he was talking about with that Rummy questions. Tough draw.

Posted by: Claudio at May 4, 2007 07:03 AM

It's interesting that they didn't do any questions about gun control since that's been in the news recently. I guess they didn't want Rudy to put his foot in his mouth.

Posted by: Pokerwolf at May 4, 2007 08:40 AM

The reason debates don't work is 1) Stupid questions. 2) Evidently, no one listens to the answers - Romney nor Giuliani did not want a National ID at all, they both were talking about an ID for non- citizens! You would have heard if you had your objective ears on. Matthews missed it completely as did many of the others in the debate- everyone listens to what they want to hear positive or negative. They corrected Matthews but you guys just heard they were pushing National ID - something conservatives would not like. Lets not be like MSM our heads spinning like tops!

Posted by: Pam at May 4, 2007 09:09 AM

Well, this normal guy watched it. At least most of it. And I thoroughly enjoyed your commentary Karol. I immediately came over here to check it out when I got into my office.

That being said, I was pretty impressed with how poorly they all did. It was a pissing contest as to who is the biggest conservative jerk. I'm sorry, but the whole Roe V. Wade issue? It's seems that only Guiliani has the balls to speak up about women having the right to control their own body. I was pretty appalled by that. Oh and that you can be fired in America for being gay. That seems fair. Gonna be an interesting race...that's for sure!

Posted by: Joe CuttheShit at May 4, 2007 09:18 AM

I didn't watch the debate but have read about some of the stupid questions that were asked. What do you hate about America? Seriously. Now I understand why the Dems didn't want to go on Fox. They knew of the tactics they would use and simply avoided them. Mathews and the Politico guy should be embarassed.

Posted by: StB at May 4, 2007 09:29 AM

Mitt Romney is a waxy candy ass.

Posted by: at May 4, 2007 09:33 AM

"8:38pm: Romney rocks. "What do you say to Roman Catholic bishops that won't give Communion to certain people?" "I don't say anything to Roman Catholic bishops". Love that answer."

Asshole....

Looks like I'm abstaining from another election...the choices are the stuttering prick, the psycho and the asshole.

Posted by: Dan the Moderate at May 4, 2007 09:47 AM

The Romney bishop line was actually my favorite from the transcripts I've seen (didn't watch the debate proper). I'd hope that it would be the answer from the Democratic side.

Posted by: Alceste at May 4, 2007 10:03 AM

I wasn't a Romney fan before the beauty contest, but I'm warming to him. Rudy lost a lot of ground. He didn't look like a frontrunner, and certainly not a guy who can win the primary process. I guess Hugh Hewitt is right. Should have known better than to doubt him. Hunter would be a great VP candidate. He has some Ohio roots.

Posted by: Casca at May 4, 2007 11:08 AM

i heard about gilmore's pro-choiciness when he came to the Wednesday meeting, but i wasnt alowed to say anything b/c it is off the record. ive been waiting for someone to finally ask him about it.

Posted by: brent j. at May 4, 2007 11:12 AM

"9:10pm: Wait, who just raised their hands when asked if they don't believe in evolution?"

Huckabee, Tancredo and Brownback.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at May 4, 2007 04:35 PM

8G9eD6 smbcvciipmrz, [url=http://bqlzyexoyxch.com/]bqlzyexoyxch[/url], [link=http://efhftexgvtxq.com/]efhftexgvtxq[/link], http://gnjsfhzitmfb.com/

Posted by: hqvlhefhn at May 22, 2010 06:42 AM