ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

May 07, 2007

Um, ok, Crazy!

"At some point, politically sophisticated conservatives will have to recognize that no Republican can win in 2008 and that their only choice is to support the most conservative Democrat for the nomination. Call me crazy, but I think that person is Hillary Clinton."

-Bruce Bartlett on "Conservatives for Hillary"

Posted by Karol at May 7, 2007 09:25 PM | TrackBack
Comments

yeah. didn't you know that knee-jerk socialism was a "conservative" thing?

Posted by: brent j. at May 7, 2007 10:08 PM

Nice one.

I guess the left finally realized that saying "but Kevin Phillips is a Republican and he hates Bush!" wasn't getting anywhere, so they needed a new face.

Posted by: See-Dub at May 7, 2007 10:23 PM

Okay, I liked "Imposter"-he even convinced me that a national VAT wasn't such a bad idea, which was surprising, to me at least-but I think Bartlett needs to step back from the pipe.

Posted by: Gerard at May 7, 2007 10:58 PM

Nationalizing the oil and health care industry has always been in the Republican Party platform. So it makes sense that we should support Hillary.

Posted by: Jake at May 8, 2007 11:20 AM

Bartlett is giving way to despair. I analyzed this elsewhere, but would like to add that trends continue until someone stops them. Will Rudy, Mitt, or Fred be able to stop the creeping socialism and defeatism?

Posted by: Hubbard at May 8, 2007 01:28 PM

Bartlett is nuts---maybe he's being blackmailed.

The Clintons must really have some dirt on the dude, you know, like a picture of him in bed with a teenage boy.

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at May 8, 2007 02:00 PM

"Will Rudy, Mitt, or Fred be able to stop the creeping socialism and defeatism?"

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what do you think Romney's biggest "accomplishment" in Massachussetts is, other than "creeping socialism"?

He's talking great-sounding lines to the right crowd, but regardless of how Reaganesque he tries to appear, regardless of how well he may have done in the GOP debate, the fact will always remain that Romney started Massachussetts down a very dark path. Now he's even justifying it by saying the MA Dems were going to do it anyway, so the GOP had to take the lead. So should real conservatives now be no more than lemmings, ready to jump first into the pit of hell just because liberals want to do it first? Bruce Bartlett called Bush's Medicare the worst legislation ever in American history. Romney could eclipse that, given half a chance with a Dem-controlled Congress, especially if he falls into the same trap Bush has: trying to please the people for the sake of his party, rather than doing what is Constitutional and right.

For the record, I've never had health insurance in my life, except for my last two years of college (transferred schools and found the new one required health insurance, so I signed up for the crappiest student plan). In the rare event I go to a doctor or clinic, I just pay for it myself. I'm healthy enough with sufficient personal savings that I'm willing to take the risk. Things will change once I get married, but that's next year.

And being true to my libertarianism, I'd sooner die, literally, than have taxpayers pay for my medical care. You may quote me on that. If necessary, I'll seek help from family, other private individuals and genuine charities, but I refuse to fall back on government's "safety net" of coercing some people to pay for others.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at May 8, 2007 03:21 PM