August 06, 2007
I'm not going to lie to you guys, I'm having a great summer. Don't hate me for my happiness, I had a bad winter and spring (but my stoicism is nationally renowned, in this nation, and I never uttered a word of complaint) so, really, I was due.
Things I have loved about this summer:
1. Mojitos- How I was not a fan of this minty, fruity wonder before that magical day by the Wynn pool, remains a mystery. I love mint, I love fruit, I love booze. Perfecto.
2. The beach- This might seem like an obvious one. I was raised by a guy who thinks he's a Puerto Rican sailor (he's actually my father, a Russian-born doctor) and spent nearly every childhood vacation at the beach. And I mostly hated it. I loved swimming but I just felt so awkward and uncomfortable at the beach. This year it all clicked; I fell in love with a bathing suit. I bought it last year at Bloomingdale's at the end of the season and it just fit so well and made me feel so cute. This year I bought the same suit in 3 colors and various shapes real cheap at Loehmann's. It changed everything, I look forward to the beach now.
3. Men in summer clothes- I love, love men in linen. I also love the light colors, the tight t-shirts, and summer suits. Not that men don't look great in the winter too, but I'm all about the hot, tanned, summer look. Yum.
4. The music- Summer anthems are great. Every summer there are a handful of songs that become the soundtrack to the season. This summer the radio hits have been "Make me better", "Umbrella" and "Beautiful Girls". None of these are exactly my speed but they do sound good blasting out the car window on a beautiful day. Late summer has brought some great Kanye, Common (check out his song "Drivin Me Wild" with Lily Allen and also "The People") and I love that Lil Wayne "Shot to the Heart" song. 50 Cent can still do no wrong and "I Get Money" just proves it. And that's just the new stuff. "Hola Hovito" by Jay-Z is my official "driving home from the beach" song and I've also been listening to a lot of reggae, which always makes me feel summer-y. Nighttime is all about sultry Amy Winehouse. She goes well with a mojito.
5. My work. I love what I'm doing. I won't say more about it right now for fear of jinxing it.
6. I have been writing up a small storm. I may actually finish writing one book this summer--and that's not even an ambitious statement at this point. I've been feeling inspired and creative. And so, so happy. Incredibly, ridiculously, deliriously happy.
7. The food- I have a friend with whom I play one-on-one poker. When one of us wins three games, the other one buys dinner. At this point, we each owe each other 4 dinners. We have strict rules--the food can't be ordered in and it doesn't count if we're out with other people. So, we've been having some pretty great meals. And that's not even counting the plain ole dinners out that my friends and I do on a fairly regular basis. This weekend was lobster casserole at the bar East Village Yacht Club on Friday and Chilean Seabass at Scalinatella on Saturday. Does it get any better? I say no.
Because nothing is perfect, here's a list of things I have lacked this summer:
1. Where the hell has Funkypundit been?
2. I need to go dance somewhere. I'd love to go to a Reggae club and dance all night. Leave recommendations and invitations in the comment section.
3. This was going to be "the summer of girls," when I would reconnect with my female friends and forge bonds like I have with my boys. That didn't happen. The boys are just better at actually getting together. I did have a good chick friend visit from Paris (yes, really, I wore pigtails), and it is only early August, so I may yet get some girl time in. August nights are made for drinking wine on my balcony with the ladies.
What have y'all loved about your summer? Or, hated, whichever.Posted by Karol at August 6, 2007 03:24 AM | TrackBack
Technorati Tags: Personal+Blogging Summer