ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

August 06, 2007

Taking stock

I'm not going to lie to you guys, I'm having a great summer. Don't hate me for my happiness, I had a bad winter and spring (but my stoicism is nationally renowned, in this nation, and I never uttered a word of complaint) so, really, I was due.

Things I have loved about this summer:

1. Mojitos- How I was not a fan of this minty, fruity wonder before that magical day by the Wynn pool, remains a mystery. I love mint, I love fruit, I love booze. Perfecto.

2. The beach- This might seem like an obvious one. I was raised by a guy who thinks he's a Puerto Rican sailor (he's actually my father, a Russian-born doctor) and spent nearly every childhood vacation at the beach. And I mostly hated it. I loved swimming but I just felt so awkward and uncomfortable at the beach. This year it all clicked; I fell in love with a bathing suit. I bought it last year at Bloomingdale's at the end of the season and it just fit so well and made me feel so cute. This year I bought the same suit in 3 colors and various shapes real cheap at Loehmann's. It changed everything, I look forward to the beach now.

3. Men in summer clothes- I love, love men in linen. I also love the light colors, the tight t-shirts, and summer suits. Not that men don't look great in the winter too, but I'm all about the hot, tanned, summer look. Yum.

4. The music- Summer anthems are great. Every summer there are a handful of songs that become the soundtrack to the season. This summer the radio hits have been "Make me better", "Umbrella" and "Beautiful Girls". None of these are exactly my speed but they do sound good blasting out the car window on a beautiful day. Late summer has brought some great Kanye, Common (check out his song "Drivin Me Wild" with Lily Allen and also "The People") and I love that Lil Wayne "Shot to the Heart" song. 50 Cent can still do no wrong and "I Get Money" just proves it. And that's just the new stuff. "Hola Hovito" by Jay-Z is my official "driving home from the beach" song and I've also been listening to a lot of reggae, which always makes me feel summer-y. Nighttime is all about sultry Amy Winehouse. She goes well with a mojito.

5. My work. I love what I'm doing. I won't say more about it right now for fear of jinxing it.

6. I have been writing up a small storm. I may actually finish writing one book this summer--and that's not even an ambitious statement at this point. I've been feeling inspired and creative. And so, so happy. Incredibly, ridiculously, deliriously happy.

7. The food- I have a friend with whom I play one-on-one poker. When one of us wins three games, the other one buys dinner. At this point, we each owe each other 4 dinners. We have strict rules--the food can't be ordered in and it doesn't count if we're out with other people. So, we've been having some pretty great meals. And that's not even counting the plain ole dinners out that my friends and I do on a fairly regular basis. This weekend was lobster casserole at the bar East Village Yacht Club on Friday and Chilean Seabass at Scalinatella on Saturday. Does it get any better? I say no.

8. Misc.- I went to two fun weddings, took a Memorial Day trip upstate, attended a Yankees-Mets game, went to Las Vegas, Montana and there's a chance I'm going to Singapore at the end of next week.

Because nothing is perfect, here's a list of things I have lacked this summer:

1. Where the hell has Funkypundit been?

2. I need to go dance somewhere. I'd love to go to a Reggae club and dance all night. Leave recommendations and invitations in the comment section.

3. This was going to be "the summer of girls," when I would reconnect with my female friends and forge bonds like I have with my boys. That didn't happen. The boys are just better at actually getting together. I did have a good chick friend visit from Paris (yes, really, I wore pigtails), and it is only early August, so I may yet get some girl time in. August nights are made for drinking wine on my balcony with the ladies.

What have y'all loved about your summer? Or, hated, whichever.

Posted by Karol at August 6, 2007 03:24 AM | TrackBack
Comments

I'm glad you're having a great summer, Karol. It shows -- you looked happy and beautiful last night :) To add to your list of summer likes: the salty air by Coney Island, ice cream, fresh fruit, manis and pedis. And at the top of my list of summer dislikes: getting into a hot parked car.

Posted by: Yelena at August 6, 2007 11:24 AM

Thanks, Yelena. Hanging out with my friends seemed like an obvious one to put on the list but it's always the best part of any season. And this weekend with you guys was really fabulous.

Posted by: Karol at August 6, 2007 12:38 PM

Drinking wine on a balcony sounds divine.
Oh the times when i had a balcony...

Posted by: Tatyana at August 6, 2007 01:37 PM

Great post. I'm having an awesome summer too, also following a pretty crappy winter and spring. I've been going to the beach more times than I ever have in a single summer (I grew up about ... 1000 miles from any ocean). I moved to Brooklyn! (Adios, roommate. Adios, Queens. Hello, 1 bedroom with high ceilings and a view!) So I'm living way closer to my friends and getting out into the Brooklyn bar scene, which rocks. My friends are all having some awesome successes too, which has been fun to support them through. I've made some new, amazing friends. I got a kickass haircut. There's so much more. ... And I haven't even gone to Burning Man 2007 yet!

Posted by: Caryn at August 6, 2007 01:46 PM

I got a kickass haircut.

I think this is my week for my kickass haircut.

Posted by: Karol at August 6, 2007 01:50 PM

riding on the back of a motorcycle along the BQE at sunset, wind blowing through my salty hair. the other week i rode on the back of my friend's vespa around manhattan at 2am.

if you got wheels, i wanna go for a ride.

Posted by: pn at August 6, 2007 02:01 PM

Montana
CT
The resurgence of the Yankees
My new(ish) job
Summertime dating
Trying new things
Terrace time with the ladies
Ices for dinner bc it's too hot to cook
The languidness that summer brings

Posted by: Ari at August 6, 2007 02:18 PM

i like that word. languidness.

Posted by: pn at August 6, 2007 02:34 PM

You sound loved up, ay?

Posted by: Andrew at August 6, 2007 02:54 PM

Summer started out w/ a bang -- unfortunately, that led to my current incarceration in a Mexican jail. Send help.

Posted by: FunkyPundit at August 6, 2007 03:14 PM

Hanging out on a roof overlooking broadway with friends as the youngsters around us wonder why we're having more fun than they are.

Posted by: Summer Fun at August 6, 2007 03:23 PM

We got a lot of rain this summer. Flooding sucked, but we busted our drought and it wasn't too hot.

Been playing softball. Each game we've played has been a lesson in humility, but it's still fun.

I can't remember a summer like this for the underground metal. Seems like all my favorite bands had something new coming out.

So yeah, one of the best summers I've had in a long time. But fall, college football and hockey are just around the corner.

Posted by: Shawn at August 6, 2007 09:21 PM

Oh and here's a list of Reggae clubs in Dallas

I mean, if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Posted by: Shawn at August 6, 2007 09:27 PM

Fuck. You.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at August 6, 2007 11:24 PM

Geez Not Dawn, having a rough summer are we?

Posted by: James at August 7, 2007 07:54 AM

yes, thank you for asking.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at August 7, 2007 05:29 PM

Well, do tell, don't leave us all wondering like this...:P

Posted by: James at August 7, 2007 05:40 PM

I didn't know Funkypundit could get into *that* much trouble at the ballet.

Posted by: Anwyn at August 7, 2007 09:46 PM

Karol wrote;
"Men in summer clothes- I love, love men in linen."
-------------------------

Well, I was originally thinking of commenting under the monniker, "BadBoyWhoWearsLinen," but it just didn't sound right !

It's dry out here en la Ciudad de los Angeles.
We could use a little "Rain in the Summertime," as the old '80s song by The Alarm goes.
Seriously, I love summer showers that the rest of the country gets.

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at August 8, 2007 01:04 AM

It is great to know that you've wonderful summer, but in my case I didn't move anywhere. Because I've caught up with my business commitments, but still I enjoy this summer, and I'm happy for getting good improvement in the business...
p shaped conservatories north east

Posted by: Peter at August 9, 2007 10:57 AM

"And I haven't even gone to Burning Man 2007 yet!"

That's a huge homo thing right?

Posted by: Radical Redneck at August 10, 2007 02:49 AM

Summer is also special for me because it's salsa time - 6 ingredients only - no more - no less -- oh and they have to be home grown tomatoes MMmmm! LOVE the beach here in Calif. Sunbleached hair on skateboarding kids. Lying under a tree in the shade. Lemonade. I love summer.

Posted by: Karol (yep, another one) at August 10, 2007 02:52 AM