ALARMINGNEWS_1_1.jpg

May 19, 2008

Song of the Day

"If I Can't Change Your Mind" by Sugar.

The second time I lived in Scotland (the first time was on a commune with Americans, Canadians and continental Europeans with one Scottish person in total, the second time was a more traditional Scottish experience, first in Forres, then Aberdeen), I met this group of people who can easily be described as Bob Mould's biggest fans. I had never heard of Bob Mould (who, by the way, has a blog here) before but that would all change as I was regaled by stories of Sugar, Hüsker Dü and all the splendor that is Mould. When I moved to Aberdeen, I discovered that my group of friends were just a small subset of the Scottish Bob Mould obsessives society. Every record store featured a Hüsker Dü-shirt wearing dude behind the counter. Sugar was always playing. I always wondered if Bob Mould is aware that he has such a dedicated following in Scotland. I suppose he might since he's kicking off his upcoming European tour in Glasgow. Go north, Bob. You're a G-d there.

I took a liking to Sugar more than Hüsker Dü, partly because Sugar was so much happier. Hüsker Dü's lyrics were always teetering on suicidal ("Too Far Down" was a crowd favorite, my friend Andreas would play it while we took the most beautiful, scenic drives and Mould would sing "I couldn't begin to smile...") while Sugar might have some darker themes but ultimately didn't seem like the whole band might off themselves at any moment.

Anyway, today's Song of the Day is dedicated to David in Aberdeen (who, sidenote, never ever comments here but whose lovely wife Steff, who, further sidenote, I introduced him to, does sometimes) of the awesome Scottish band "ditch" (yes, lower case d) because he twice requested a Mould song be my Song of the Day. So here you are, David. Maybe put some of your music up somewhere so it can be my Song of the Day sometime? And really, some comments wouldn't be the worst.

Posted by Karol at May 19, 2008 01:57 PM | TrackBack
Comments

Once upon a time, Copper Blue was one of my favorite albums.

Posted by: Shawn at May 19, 2008 03:25 PM

Thanks for your song. I like it. Thanks for sharing with us.

Posted by: lastminute spanien at May 19, 2008 04:27 PM

This might sate me (I prefer the "happy" Mould too), but you know the hardcore Scottish purists are holding out for the tuneless wailing of New Day Rising or whatever and will not be sated by this sweet pop! Now what's it going to take to get some Paul Westerberg up on here?... :-)

Posted by: Steff at May 19, 2008 06:00 PM

Nice choice Karol, your musical taste can be spot on at times :-)
Steffany - I hope you are going to explain your comments about New Day Rising to Mr Mould on Friday.
For "tuneless wailing" read "a cathartic mantra for the marginalised youth of the Reagan era” – at least that’s what Graeme told me!

Posted by: David at May 20, 2008 04:10 AM

I'm all nostalgic now, those were good times. Bob should have gone onto to be be one of guitar's greats after Sugar instead of disappearing into electro beats. A bit like Paul Weller in that regard.

Posted by: andreas at May 20, 2008 10:40 AM

Woohooooo!!! The mould!!! The mould!!!

I wish I was going to see the Mould on Friday too but I am under strict instruction that loud music and warm beer is inappropriate for my unborn child. Never fear, I have already started it's newly developed ears on a diet of SST Acoustic and Neil Young.

Posted by: Shazza at May 20, 2008 11:04 AM

Thats all fine and dandy Books, Movies, Songs, Presidential race.

But where is our Subway Series Post?

No comments about what transpired in the New York Baseball scene??

Last ever regular season Met Yankee game at the house that Joe Torre Rebuilt, The Willy situation, Lots to talk about...

I'm sure NDS and others would have boatloads of comments.

So bust out the Matsui t-shirt and start writting.

P.S.

If anyone has never seen the Bad Luitenant check out the finest work of art that has ever involved Christopher Russo.

Posted by: M at May 20, 2008 01:14 PM

Mets fans are so cute, getting all excited when they win something. I know, I know, you gotta take what you can get when your last World Series win was over 20 years ago.

Posted by: Karol at May 20, 2008 01:25 PM

Damn Straight I'm cute, and the last time the Yankees won you didn't even have your t-shirt yet.

Plus your info (20 years) is incorrect. It now has been awhile since the last Yankee title, so you may want to revamp a perfectly good argument from 2001 and get with the present. Which is both teams are mediocre.

If you read my comment not much gloating or Yankee bashing. Just a baseball fan looking for some baseball, but your post will need to be more inciteful than your comment.

Posted by: M at May 20, 2008 02:39 PM